Monday, February 24, 2014

One Cool Chick: Sarah S.


For my latest addition to my Cool Person Series, I interviewed Sarah, and she had some awesome stuff to tell us about. Pictures of her work are also mixed in with her responses. Check this girl out:

What do you like to do or create?

I create art from a lot of different mediums. I draw all the time whether it be well thought out sketches, doodles, or hand lettering. I enjoy painting with acrylics and watercolor and I have been trying to get comfortable with colored pencils lately. I've done some street art, mostly stencils and stickers, but I'm moving away from that and more into graphic design. My art varies in content but I find that I most enjoy creating rockets and tree houses. They show up in so much of my work almost subconsciously. 


What do you do for fun?

For fun I participate in something called FAFATL. It stands for Free Art Fridays Atlanta and it's beginning to get pretty big in the city. We've moved on from just working on Fridays but the name stuck anyways. What FAFATL artists do is spread their art all over the city almost like a scavenger hunt, dropping their pieces for hunters to find. We work through twitter, each artist having their own handle and type of art that they do. I go by Space Cadet (@spacecadet_42) in this little art community and I drop little wooden rockets and other space things that I've painted. It's so much fun to have someone tweet back pictures of things I've made and to see how delighted people get to have found something they get to take home. The other artists are great too and have become close friends of mine. We do collaboration parties, swap events, and even a themed art show every couple of months that gives us the opportunity to sell our work. We all bond over the belief in spreading art culture and making it for anyone. Art is for the world and not just the people that can afford it so we've turned the streets into a museum with the purpose of putting art in everyone's home.


What do you draw inspiration from?

Absolutely everything inspires me! I love to go through other artists' work and make interpretations or replicas. My mom is an artist and has always been super encouraging of my work and has pushed me to be a more mature artist. Our work is very different but growing up in a creative environment has inspired me to never stop making art. I'm also constantly browsing websites for inspiration. I adore using resources like pinterest, tumblr, and polyvore to sort through images to help me create things that are aesthetically pleasing. 

How would you describe yourself?

I mostly describe myself as witty. I love dry humor and sarcasm as long as it's not putting someone down. I'm very happy when everyone else is laughing. I'm very easy going and don't get stressed out too easily. I like that I'm this way a lot because I don't really worry too much about things that I can't change.

What are some things you believe in?

I really believe that everyone deserves to be happy. I think everyone has a right to be accepted and loved so I try to be kind to everyone I meet. I believe in creating an almost spiritual bond with people. That makes me sound like a hippy but that's the best way to describe it. I look for good vibes in people and try to surround myself with those that create good feelings.

What are you studying in college/ what career path will you pursue?

I'm currently a freshman at Auburn University for Graphic Design. I haven't decided my focus yet but I really like screen printing, packaging, and magazine stuff.




 Thank you Sarah! She's pretty neat, huh? 

If you or anyone you know would like to be featured on my Cool Person Series, please let me know, because I'm always looking for people to interview!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment! I always read and respond :)