Tuesday, December 30, 2014

An Open Letter to the Universe

  
    As the year comes to a close, I want to take some time to be thankful for everything the universe and powers that be have given me. 2014 has been an amazing year full of radical changes, and in many ways this year has given me exactly what I have needed to keep growing and changing and healing. I am vastly grateful for everything life has brought to me this year. So, without further ado:

Dear Universe, 

Thank you so much for 2014. This year I was granted many opportunities for change. I was able to get a job, take on a leadership position in a school organization, leave an unhealthy relationship, cut my hair short, and make many new and very valuable friendships. 
I am especially thankful for my friends and family. I am so happy to have the pleasure of knowing so many inspiring and heartwarming people, and I’m very happy to be close to quite a few of them. My friends are all extremely special people and add to my happiness in immeasurable ways. Also, my parents are awesome. They’ve given me everything I have, and I am so glad that two people as good as them are the people that raised me. Thank you for the people in my life!
I’m also very grateful for all the learning opportunities that have been given to me this year. I’ve gained a lot of knowledge about environmental and social issues, and I’ve also had opportunities to get involved with both. I got my first “real” job this year, and have learned a lot about what that means to me (it’s pretty great having money). I learned a lot of new technical skills and got the chance to really deepen and improve my art practice, which has been super fun! I’ve actually produced a lot of art in general this year, which has made me feel really good. I’ve even sold a couple pieces! I’ve also made a lot of mistakes this year, and luckily none have been too harmful, but they have all provided me with learning opportunities that are continuing to help me figure out the guidelines I want my adult life to operate under(more on that in an upcoming post). Thank you so much for all of these opportunities. 
I’ve also done a lot of really cool and fun things this year, including: skinny-dipping in the ocean in the middle of the night, learning how to do cool makeup, finding a tree-swing in the middle of the forest, going to the Catalyst with friends, going on tons of night-walks, hosting dinner parties, learning to make books, getting to know more about Santa Cruz, making friends with adults (older adults), teaching art to a little girl, reading and learning a LOT, getting to know my parents better, hanging out with kids, finding a beach cave, and just getting to know/hanging out with awesome people who I really like. I’m so grateful that I’ve had all these experiences. I’m so happy that I’m able-bodied and outgoing, because those two things have really helped me experience a lot!

Another thing I’m very grateful for is UCSC! I realized today that this is really the only college I would ever want to go to. This place is awesome! There are so many friendly people with so many interests and backgrounds and stories to tell. Additionally, there are so many cool opportunities and things to get involved with. I’m very privileged to be able to receive a college education, and I am even more lucky that I get to do it at a place like UCSC. 
I’m so grateful for the beautiful planet I live on. I’m grateful for all the people that live on it, and all the people I get to meet someday. I’m grateful for all the places I’ll get to visit. I’m so happy that there are beautiful forests and oceans, and animals that no one has ever seen. I’m so glad there are big cities and small towns and all different kinds of cultures. I’m so grateful for ART! Art helps me make sense of everything when nothing makes sense. I’m extremely grateful for music, and I’m really glad I’m a good dancer; dancing is the best thing I can do with my body. 
I’m super grateful for my brain! I’m so glad I’m a (generally) smart person and I’m so happy I have the ability to generate so many creative and interesting ideas and bring new projects to life. 
Lastly, the thing I’m probably most grateful for is the way life continues to unfold for me. I definitely do not feel like things are stagnant, but instead happening at a pace I can keep up with. I feel like the Universe is looking out for me. I’m so happy with the way I’m developing and changing as a person, and I feel like I’m heading in a very good direction with my life. I’m grateful for the realization that continually hits me: I can do anything I want with my life. There is literally nothing stopping me! Which is awesome! I’m so, so grateful for that freedom, and for the fact that so many amazing possibilities are available to me in my life. 
Thank you so much, Universe (or who/whatever is in charge here). You have given me so much to be grateful for. Sometimes I feel upset and small, but knowing how much life has granted me makes me feel so good. Life is really magical if you think about it. Thank you for that. 

Love always, 
Madeleine

Honestly, that letter could have gone on for days, there is so much to be grateful for!! So, a little food for thought: what are you grateful for? I encourage you to reflect back on this year and think about all the good things that you have been granted. 

I wish you all a very happy holiday season. Take care, and let the Universe know you love it!

1 comment:

  1. Gratitude!! One thing that I'm grateful for is your blog bc you're so insightful and an inspiration. :]
    ♡ Dulce

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! I always read and respond :)