Friday, June 19, 2015

Why I Stopped Using Deodorant (And Made My Own Instead)


      Today we're going to talk about deodorant, and how I don't wear it any more. Yep. Now if you're thinking "yuck!", hang on a minute! There are three excellent reasons why I don't use deodorant, so hear me out:

1. Toxins. The first reason I don't wear deodorant anymore is because it contains three potentially toxic ingredients: parabens, aluminum, and propylene glycol. Applying parabens and aluminum to the underarm area has been identified by some doctors as leading to risk of breast cancer. Propylene glycol is thought to be safe in small doses, but it is a neurotoxin that can damage your kidneys and liver. I'm not interested in toxins entering my body whatsoever, whether they cause cancer or not.

2. Packaging waste. Do you see how much plastic is wasted in each of those push up canisters deodorants come in? Nuh-uh. I'm not about to buy something that's mostly plastic, just to send most of that money to a landfill.

3. Money. I'm a college student, and a smart, frugal individual. I could buy natural deodorants that don't use toxic ingredients, but these cost more money than generic brands. Almost any way that I can save money, I will. Which is how I discovered a much more cost-effective solution….


You Can Make Your Own Deodorant!! 

    There are many recipes out there, but my personal favorite was introduced to me by one of my students this year. It only requires four ingredients (coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and essential oils) and it smells and feels delightful on my skin. I also love the fact that I can make a huge batch all at once and put it in a reusable jar to decrease packaging waste! Plus, I love knowing exactly what is in the things I'm putting on my body and skin.

     Another alternative is to simply stop wearing deodorant! I've heard it takes 30 days before your body regulates and stops needing deodorant to keep from being smelly. Whether this is true or not, I went without deodorant for over two months, and I don't think anyone noticed (or at least they were all too polite to say something).

    I encourage you all to try experimenting with your deodorant regimen. Who knows, maybe you don't even need it? I hope this little piece of advice helps you all lead happier, healthier, and more sustainable lives. Happy experimenting!
                                                                               Love,
                                                                                   Madeleine

P.S. If you want more on this topic, I found this guy's experimentations with deodorant to be pretty entertaining, and useful!

Photos: mine, 2 (this link sends you to a wonderful tumblr archive of DIY deodorant recipes, just in case you want to look at other recipes!)