I love bananas as much as the next girl, but when you've had them for too long and they start to look more brown than yellow, I don't really feel up to eating them. So instead I bake them into a delicious loaf of banana bread! It is usually devoured within a day of its coming out of the oven, but its life is short and sweet. Here's my recipe:
Madeleine's Most Favorite Banana Bread:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (usually takes between 2 and 4 bananas, depending on size)
1/3 cup water
1 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and grease bottom only of a loaf pan, about 9x5x3 inches.
- Mix sugar and butter in a large bowl.
- Stir in eggs until blended.
- Add bananas and water and beat for 30 seconds.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except for nuts until moistened.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool completely before loosening the sides of the loaf with a knife and slicing.