Thursday, June 13, 2013

High School: A Little Advice From A (Very) Recent Graduate


As some of you might have guessed, I just graduated high school about one week ago. It already feels like longer than that. Above is a photo of me and two of my best friends since first grade (you can tell by our faces we were super excited to graduate, haha) after the graduation ceremony took place. 
It's been an extremely long, crazy ride four years, but I am so glad it's over and very ready to move on to college. I do, however, want to take this time to reflect on my time at high school, in the form of an advice post. Some of the topics covered are things I've done that have served me well, others are things I wish I had done but never got around to. Here we go:

  • Get involved. During my time at high school I did swim team, started and ran a club, participated in other clubs, helped out in a charity fashion show, won a photography contest, and participated in the spring musical. These were just a fraction of the opportunities available to me. I really suggest that you get involved in school activities because it gives a chance to meet new people and make more friends, which is always a plus. Joining clubs teams also allows you to be able to pursue your interests.
  • Go against the crowd. One of the biggest lessons I learned in high school was that you should not conform. Don't try to be like everyone else! It will only make you boring and unhappy, trust me. Do your own thing. Wear the clothes you like, pick up skills or hobbies that interest you, and associate with the people that you like.  Think for yourself and encourage others to do the same. You will be much better off for it. 
  • Accept that you will change. Four years is a really long time. By the time you graduate, you will most likely be an extremely different person from the freshman who walked in on the first day of school. That’s okay. It’s normal to experiment and try new things and hang out with different people. It’s  alright if you rebel and do crazy things. Trust me, by senior year you’ll be feeling the itch if you haven’t already. 
  • Take chances. Sit next to that person who you think is really cool but have never talked to before. I cannot tell you how much I wished I had done this more. There were so many great people in my graduating class and I feel like I didn’t take the chance to get to know all of them. Also, try more things. I wish I’d done more sports and signed up for this and that, taken this class instead of this one. Sign up for more activities and indulge your interests. Put yourself out there and try new stuff!
For more advice to help you deal with high school, I suggest looking at my articles On Being Yourself, Attention: A Rant, Girls, Girls, Girls! On Female Role Models, 5 Tips to Make Your Day More Magical! and How to Set Cool Goals!. All of these incorporate wisdom that has helped me through the four years I spent in high school as well as in my life in general, and I think you'll find they're worth the read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment! I always read and respond :)