Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Simple Bacon and Corn Griddle Cakes


This morning I made bacon and corn griddle cakes for breakfast, and oh man, were they delicious. With the help of my co-chef, we whipped these out and had a regular feast this morning. I highly recommend these for a brunch, as they're an excellent combo of sweet and savory with warm honey on top. The original recipe and photo come from Recipe Girl. I tweaked the recipe a bit to make it more simple but it still tastes delicious!

Ingredients:

8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1 cup frozen, canned or fresh corn
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
warm maple syrup or honey, for serving

Directions: 

1. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon pieces until they begin to brown. Continue to cook until the bacon is crisp.
2. While the bacon is cooking, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the milk, egg and oil, just until moistened. Stir in the bacon, corn and cheese. The mixture will be thick. If you'd like the griddle cakes to be slightly thinner than those pictured, add a little more milk to thin out the batter.
3. Heat and grease a griddle or large skillet. Pour a heaping 1/4-cup of the batter onto the griddle and cook until it is golden brown- 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
4. Serve stacks of griddle cakes topped with a good dose of warm maple syrup (or honey!). Enjoy!
Notes:
- I'm not a fan of syrup, so I used warm honey instead and I found it really brought out the flavor of the cheese, bacon, and corn in the griddle cakes. 
- I followed the recipe exactly and my griddle cakes were very thick. I might add a bit more milk next time, but that's up to you!
- I purchased frozen corn, the kind that comes in a bag that you can steam it in, and microwaved it for 1 minute before adding it to the mix, just to thaw out the kernels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment! I always read and respond :)